Hi,

We are facing a few issues with the channel API.  May be Moishe or
others can answer with some experience can answer.

1.  We pre-create the channel/token by appending the page_id to the
user_id before serving the page.  We memcache this token for a TTL of
2 hours.  When the channel is closed, we request the token again from
the server, at which point the memcache is also updated with the new
token.

On the page itself the javascript client uses the token to open the
channel using:

var channel = new goog.appengine.Channel(token);

If i access the web app after several hours and access my page, this
call is relatively fast (few ms).  However on every subsequent
request, it takes ages (several minutes) for the response.  The
browsers status bar shows:

Waiting for talkgadget.google.com

(which btw makes me think that the underlying technology under the
channel api is google talk, xmpp)

Even if i refresh the page immediately, the same thing happens (i.e.
it goes in a wait state for a long time).  I have also tried doing
this with other apps (for example the online paint app that someone
created to demonstrate channel api).

My question is,  if a channel has been opened by a client web page and
another client webpage tries to open the same channel, what happens?
There currently seems to be no way to avoid this because the user
might want to navigate to some other section of the website and then
come back to the page where the channel is open.

2) My second question is:  Is there a way for a user to be logged on
to two different browsers and receive updates from the server to the
same page?  I have thought of some ways of accomplishing this e.g.
appending the browser properties in the request to create the token
but they all sound like hacks rather than actual solutions.

3)  FInally, perhaps the above scenarios are there because the api is
not ready for production use?  In that case should we do nothing and
wait for these issues to resolve?

Thanks,
Yasser