http://www.google.com/enterprise/marketplace/viewListing?productListingId=77
71+15478775636094085578

This would be part of the solution.   What you would do is on your Host Site
you would use 302's when performance hit a certain load, or when a single
URL crossed a certain amount of traffic.

But you'd only 302 if the useragent didn't match the Google Fetch.   That
way users would 302 to appengine, but the Reverse Caching Proxy would handle
the request.

Or you can just put CDN in a box in front of your site, and run off it.
This works well, and is extremely elastic.

Lastly, you can use a solution like this and only serve parts of the site,
like images, JS, and CSS from it, which takes load off of your server.

Sorry if this is "spam" it seemed pretty relevant for the task described.