There is Guido's new 'Datastore Plus' work:
    http://neopythonic.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-app-engine-datastore-api.html

I personally find the datastore API itself fine.  With a few simple
additions you can easily implement caching strategies and 'efficient'
fetching of entities.

Understanding the differences between the datastore and 'other'
databases so that you can make good design decisions is probably one
of the most important aspects of app engine work.

Robert