I have an issue with yahoo too.  Some of my mails to yahoo from GAE
are flagged spam, and some are not.  I don't know why because they all
have the same content... it just seems like they sometimes randomly
decide they are spam.  In the past my GAE emails always made it to
yahoo's in box.  I have started using SES and it works well with
yahoo.  I don't like using a different method either but I would
probably recommend you try SES if you need email delivery right now,
as it doesn't sound like Google is headed in that direction
currently.  The only quirk with SES is their quotas, they start you at
1K emails/24 hours, and you have to earn a higher quota...

However, I would definitely prefer to be able to send via GAE, maybe
with dkim, and would even pay a higher rate per email for this.  GAE
team please consider this...