I'm curious how this works for you.  When I did this I could not
disable my old Google Apps app.. I had to remove the URL, create a new
app in my Google apps and set it's URL...

What I am saying is that for me I CANNOT delete an old app engine app
from my Google apps account.  I am curious if the feature works for
anyone else.  To clarify, I do not mean I can't disable/delete an app
engine app, I mean within my Google Apps Dashboard I cannot remove an
app I added for my domain.