On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Gregory D'alesandre <gr...@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Ugorji <ugo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1
>> IMHO, This is the single biggest risk to Google with this move. The
>> developers that adopted this did so out of trust, even when the platform was
>> in preview mode and some runtimes were experimental. The price was right,
>> and Google guaranteed that they would not pull the plug under us without
>> giving us three year advance notice. With this, and the trust (mostly
>> deserved), we went about happily enjoying all of this insane google
>> engineering now at our fingertips.
>
> I can understand where you are coming from, but this is part of the reason
> we want to go out of preview, so that you can be certain App Engine will be
> around for a long time and things won't shift.

>From the blog post:

  "It will also reaffirm our deprecation policy whereby we will
   support deprecated versions of product APIs for 3 years, allowing
   applications written to prior API specifications to continue to function."

Before this announcement we could be sure that App Engine would be
around for at least 3 years. After the announcement we can be sure it
will be around for at least... 3 years.