On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Gregory D'alesandre <gr...@google.com>wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Vinuth Madinur
> <vinuth.madi...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Important concerns raised on the blog comment:
>>
>> <Quoting @Deep>
>>
>> "Due to customer feedback and to better service memory intensive
>> applications, we will be eliminating CPU hours."
>>
>> I can't imagine anyone actually requested this. That's corporate bs for
>> "we are making this unpopular change but going to pretend customers
>> requested it".
>>

>  Hi Vinuth, I can imagine how it sounds like corporate bs, but in reality
> with the current CPU-only based model, we have a number of limitations that
> many potential customers were unhappy about.  High latency apps essentially
> hold on to lots of memory without any CPU usage, this means that we can't
> scale it because it would just continue to gobble up more memory unbounded.
>  Under the new model any app can scale, but will be paying for the memory as
> well as the cpu used, this opens App Engine up to a number of
> developers/applications that weren't able to use it before and wanted to.

Thanks for clarifying. I have a few more questions:

1. Shouldn't we be calling these Processes and not Instances?

2. Can't there be billing only for Memory consumed (and blocked) by Always
On Processes. Why should memory consumption be a function of time? Why
should there be a blanket bundling of CPU and main memory and both being
billed as a function of time? The main concern I believe is having to pay
for idle cpu time. If it were a true Instance, developers would have had
opportunity to design in a way that would give them maximum juice for their
buck. But these are Processes.

3. App Engine has never made any guarantees about main memory. Application
can be killed or created as per GAE discretion.  Other than Always On,
nobody designs their apps to be dependent on memory. That choice is
important.

 4. Can you please clarify on the granularity of the Instance billing. Like
EC2, is the minimum granularity for billing 1 hour?

Thanks,
Vinuth.