On May 12, 2:19 am, Vinuth Madinur <vinuth.madi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As companies age, they start looking for ways to make free money without
> actual work. (Think of the big banks.) Sad to see signs Google is going that
> way.

Actually the way I see it is that Google has given us a free ride for
three years. Starting to charge for what they gave away free is not
"free money" - it's "reducing losses". I feel it is in our interests
that Appengine is a going concern - I think you'd hear many more
screams if Google had announced they were closing it instead - so I'm
actually glad that they are starting to get real about charging for
it.

Yes, it will mean thousands of developers leaving for cheaper
pastures. But in the main, that will be the spammers and people who
are hosting their personal 1 hit per day websites on Appengine because
it's free. If losing them means better support for the rest of us,
then I will cheerfully wave them goodbye.

>  If this move results in charging even for instances sitting idly (while
> we don't even have direct control over the # of instances!) that would be a
> pretty big change from "no evil". My app has light load and is set to
> multithreaded yet AE keeps spawning new instances for no reason. I refuse to
> pay for those.

Quite right. But before you get too angry, they have said loud and
clear that they will be putting a lot of work into the instance
scheduler. It'll be interesting to see how this works - it's possible
that the free 24 instance-hours will be equivalent to a current always-
on instance, and that we'll pay only for extra instances over this. So
(possibly) a free app would get an always-on instance for free. Extra
(paid-for) instances will have to be killed after a certain idle
period - maybe they'll give us control of that period, so we can
balance the risk of cold startup against cost.

I can also see their rationale in changing to charging by instance,
because it's simpler to understand and probably maps to their costs
more closely. Explaining instances to a pointy-haired-boss is a lot
easier than talking application and API CPU hours. It's still worth
optimising your app (or re-writing in Go) so it can handle more
requests without spinning up new instances, although I agree it is
less directly mapped.

All in all, the cheapskate in me is sad I'll be paying more than I
used to, but the rest of me is cautiously optimistic that this is a
positive development for Appengine.

Cheers
Greg.