So, I was watching the presentation on the HR datastore from the IO
2011 (
http://www.google.com/events/io/2011/sessions/more-9s-please-under-the-covers-of-the-high-replication-datastore.html
) and one thing caught my attention: the slides were showing the
frontend instances running in more than one datacenter at the same
time. So I understand that the memcached can lose data at any time and
if the app is migrated between the datacenters all of the data in the
cache are lost, however, running the app in two or more datacenters at
a time each DC having a separate memcached cluster, that changes the
properties quite significantly.

For example let's consider an app that uses some memcached key to keep
a cursor where to write to the datastore, atomically incrementing it
after each write. Such an app can detect if such a key is not present
in the cache and determine what the cursor is by doing a query on the
database and then add it to the cache atomically. If we add the
possibility that there's another DC running the app w/ an independent
memcached instance, such an app would just corrupt its own data.

I hope I explained my concern well enough, and I would love to hear an
answer from someone on the App Engine team.

Thank you.

-Sergey

--
http://self.maluke.com/