http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/07/inside_google_app_engine/

Nice overview, and I didn't see any glaring errors.  I'll be keeping a link to
this to pass along whenever anyone asks me what GAE is (and isn't).  An
interesting observation was that many apps spill into non-GAE infrastructure
when they need some functionality that GAE doesn't offer.  That's true of
several of our apps: one of my apps interfaces with S3 heavily because I wrote
it before BlobStore existed; another uses GAE only as a massively scalable
front-end "lobby" and scheduler, for access to non-GAE servers (in a private
data center, and in EC2 when the private data center fills up).

Also, it was interesting to see the coverage of App Scale.  I was familiar with
AETyphoon, but not App Scale.  Nice to know there are options if google makes
some really bad decisions about their pricing model in the coming months.

-Joshua