I think that 99.9% of the people who complain about App Engine's lack of PHP
support are those who would like to use it as a free host to dump Drupal on
and aren't necessarily interested in writing their own code, so therefore
those of us writing own code on it must be "tinkerers."

As far as App Engine's lack of portability goes, it's worth pointing out
that, theoretically, one could write their app using djangoappengine and
django-nonrel and the same app could most likely be run elsewhere. I haven't
gone that route so I'm not sure exactly how well djangoappengine abstracts
App Engine's APIs and which must be called explicitly, but I would imagine
that most of the code would be portable.