I have a few thoughts about that post but am too busy at the moment to jot
them down in a formal blog post. The bit about Hadoop, for instance, raised
a lot of eyebrows amongst Googlers who have extensive use of both (new hires
with a few years Hadoop experience). I'd also disagree that we are not
rebuilding things. In fact, Google has the opposite problem of other
technology companies: instead of "don't touch it, it works!", we err on the
side of "it can be better, we should improve it - mid flight!"

There's one thing about Google culture that I'm really thankful for: no
pressure to join the management track, and an easy escape. If you take up a
managerial role and realize it's not for you, it's a painless process to go
back to becoming an individual contributor. This ensures that the people in
management are the ones who actually want to be there and are good at it,
and there's no stigma for stepping down if you realize it isn't for you. And
if you ever want to try again? The opportunities are still there. Just work
it out with the people around you.

Looking around, we're all really thankful for Dhanji's contributions, and
everyone who has worked with him wishes him the best.

Ikai Lan
Blog: http://googleappengine.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/app_engine
Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/appengine