Here is another piece of info from guy who worked  for Google
http://rethrick.com/#waving-goodbye

And this relates to GAE

Speed

Here is something you've may have heard but never quite believed
before: Google's vaunted scalable software infrastructure is
obsolete.
Don't get me wrong, their hardware and datacenters are the best in
the
world, and as far as I know, nobody is close to matching it. But the
software stack on top of it is 10 years old, aging and designed for
building search engines and crawlers. And it is well and truly
obsolete.
Protocol Buffers, BigTable and MapReduce are ancient, creaking
dinosaurs compared to MessagePack, JSON, and Hadoop. And new projects
like GWT, Closure and MegaStore are sluggish, overengineered
Leviathans compared to fast, elegant tools like jQuery and mongoDB.
Designed by engineers in a vacuum, rather than by developers who have
need of tools.
In the short time I've been outside Google I've created entire apps
in
Java in the space of a single workday. (Yes, you can program as
quickly in Java as in Ruby or Python, if you understand your tools
well.) I've gotten prototypes off the ground, shown it to people, or
deployed them with hardly any barriers.