> A more useful measurement might be to set task_t0 as a global variable
> at the top of your file, with only the import of "time" preceding it

Wouldn't that cause the 2nd, 3rd, ...nth requests to the same handler to
show wrong values? I see why setting task_t0 at the top of the file would
apply if it was the first request that causes the handler to be loaded. But
this is happening on an ongoing basis for all requests, not only the first
for that handler.