On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 6:44 PM, vivpuri <v...@vivekpuri.com> wrote:
> In my opinion, this pricing change has ability to destroy AppEngine.

I believe you are underestimating the amount of bad experience users
that are locked into the platform will put up with before they switch.
I'm sure Google could have done some PR before this change, and
prepped the users for the change, but I'm also sure most users will
just bite the bullet and pay up. Sure, some will leave, but I bet most
will stick to GAE.

If you coded your application without any layer of abstraction, and
your code is highly optimized for running on GAE, it costs more to
move away from it, than to sustain the increased fees until you can
monetize your application. Of course, if the application wasn't meant
to be used for business, that's different. If it's a hobby, you can
'afford' to move to another platform. But for a business that is
planning on monetizing, moving is just as expensive as staying.

--
Branko Vukelić
bra...@herdhound.com

Lead Developer
Herd Hound (tm) - Travel that doesn't bite
www.herdhound.com