I remember reading some policy that Google prohibits people people
from basically running the same app under different registration. I
gather one reason for this is so that people don't exploit the free
nature of apps, or so that Google is not replicating essentially the
same app everywhere. What ever the reason I don't want to violate
Google's policies.

We have an app we want to develop for our customers, but we
essentially want each customer to have their own instance of the app
for quotas and billing purposes. Basically, if our customers want the
service, they would pay Google directly, rather than us figuring out
who uses what and billing our customers. It would also make it easy
for our software to automatically create the customer's app on app
engine and keep it up-to-date.

An alternative design would be to have some way to invoke a central
app, but for service operations and quota have some way to bill things
to a specific account.

Does Google have any way to do this that does not violate the
policies?

The alternative for us is setting up a separate account for each
customer on either Amazon, Microsoft, or some other cloud, and
essentially giving each customer their own VM instance. There are pros
and cons to this, as there are with using the Google PAAS, and I am
trying to figure out what our best options are.

Cheers, Eric