From: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
[mailto:google-appengine@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Eric Kolotyluk
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 9:56 AM
To: Google App Engine
Subject: [google-appengine] Multiple Instances of the Same App

I remember reading some policy that Google prohibits people people from
basically running the same app under different registration. I gather one
reason for this is so that people don't exploit the free nature of apps, or
so that Google is not replicating essentially the same app everywhere. What
ever the reason I don't want to violate Google's policies.

We have an app we want to develop for our customers, but we essentially want
each customer to have their own instance of the app for quotas and billing
purposes. Basically, if our customers want the service, they would pay
Google directly, rather than us figuring out who uses what and billing our
customers. It would also make it easy for our software to automatically
create the customer's app on app engine and keep it up-to-date.

An alternative design would be to have some way to invoke a central app, but
for service operations and quota have some way to bill things to a specific
account.

Does Google have any way to do this that does not violate the policies?

The alternative for us is setting up a separate account for each customer on
either Amazon, Microsoft, or some other cloud, and essentially giving each
customer their own VM instance. There are pros and cons to this, as there
are with using the Google PAAS, and I am trying to figure out what our best
options are.

Cheers, Eric