Hello, just my thoughts on google and beta products for developers,

Google has historically used an approach of rapid early releases and
then rapid improvements.

Their strength is the speed at which they can innovate, because they
don't need to manage client software.
(Compare MS release cycle with Googles).

However, when people are building technologies on beta releases, there
is a serious tension between getting something in peoples hands, and
making it clear what the offering is. At the beginning they don't
really know what the offering is.

Google is like many tech companies, some of its lofty ideas don't do
as well in the market. (Hi Wave and Buzz!).  So it must be difficult
when they release an early tech as a beta, not sure of exactly how it
will be used by the web at large. Even more so when this is a
technology that developers will use, and build upon.

I personally am ok with how Google has approached this, but I am doing
a free time project, and I joined the party quite late. Judging by the
various voices on this list, it would appear that there is a
significant sized group that agrees with you two.

J.

ps.. This post is mainly a procrastination excercise to avoid the
coding I know I should be doing.