Hey Greg and Joshua,
  Entity groups really aren't that hard, once you play with them and
do some testing, I promise ;).

  First thing to note is that entity groups have effectively nothing
to do with the entity's kind.  It has to do with the entity's key; or,
more precisely, its path.  Entity's in the same group have the same
path prefix and so are stored "together," and they can be operated on
transactionally.  The relationship is parent-child in the same sense
that a file has a parent directory.  You could think of them almost as
a sub-database.

  There are limits, however, to the frequency you can write entities
in the same entity group (I think 2 or 3 per second is stated in the
docs).  Also, because the entity group is stored in the key it can not
be changed once the entity has been saved.

  Hopefully that is not more confusing.  :)

Robert