Another way to speed it up is to use the mapper api. It is ideal for
going through every entity one at a time. Additionally, it will have
the benefit of automatically parallel-izing the workload across
instances for you and it should scale nicely from 2000 entities to
millions (in theory).

I'm not sure whether mapper was intended to be run periodically like
you want, but I would give it a look.