Hi,

I've got a similar issue: lots of DeadlineExceeded errors since a few
weeks. I'm on the master-slave datastore too, but what I'm reporting
happened again one hour ago.

These errors happen in bursts, and I recently realized that it was in
fact shutting down ALL instances of the application.
(In the logs, I also have this warning: A serious problem was
encountered with the process that handled this request, causing it to
exit. This is likely to cause a new process to be used for the next
request to your application. If you see this message frequently, you
may be throwing exceptions during the initialization of your
application. (Error code 104))
This does not happen when an instance is spinning up but after several
hours.

The trace I get along with the DeadlineExceeded errors show that it
happens in the second phase: while the app is trying to fallback
gracefully because of an other error (that does not appears in logs).
Request reported processing time can be like this: ms=100878
cpu_ms=385 api_cpu_ms=58 cpm_usd=0.010945 pending_ms=9321

Here is a screenshot of the admin page, showing that all instances
have been shut down about 7 minutes ago, even resident ones:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/497622/spinDown.png

The app do work in batches (although not always small ones). But
request processing time is usually good enough (see average latency on
the screen shot).
I'm trying things on my testing applications to see what can be wrong
but it's still not clear for me and I'm running short of ideas...

Any suggestions?