We are using Python, and we are not using back-ends or taskqueue.
But most of our requests fetch entities of the same kind, so a "kind-
locking" can be relevant.
I'll setup timeouts on datastore operations to see if this is what is
going wrong (and looks good to setup these anyway).

Seems logical to have pending_ms values if the app have no instances
available instead of the one hundred that used to serve the traffic...
however requests should be able to perform in less than 20sec. Nearly
all the requests failing with this error, and while the instances get
killed off, have this pending_ms value, and don't have the
So I'm not sure whether these DeadlineExceeded errors come first or as
a consequence of the instances being killed: they are not
instance, but we have these pending_ms showing that we already lack of
instances.

The traffic is very steady.