That's accurate. Performing a batch get to get a N entities from different
entity groups is slower or HRD. As N increases the issue is more pronounced.
This is because the datastore needs to fetch a consistent copy for each
entity.

Placing these entities into a single entity group can help greatly. Fetching
fewer entities initially, so that the UI updates quickly, and then fetching
more as needed, is always a good idea.

A great tool to help understand your use of the datastore is Appstats, which
can be easily enabled and provides negligible overhead to most sites. (If
you have a high traffic site, or don't want to enable Appstats in production
for other reasons, you can easily deploy a non-default version of your app
with Appstats enabled). Appstats will provide you a graphical overview of
the datastore (and other RPC) calls you are making.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Robert Kluin <robert.kl...@gmail.com>wrote:

> When switching to the HR datastore, you might need to make some
> adjustments.  For instance, fetching a large list of keys from
> multiple entity groups may be slower due to the transaction overhead.
> So you might need to evaluate your use of entity groups.  It may also
> be that you've got a design that is making many datastore RPCs in
> serial, that will probably be more of an issue when on HR since there
> is a slightly higher average latency.
>

> Robert
>

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 15:11, thstart <thst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Let me share my experience.
> > I was developing an AppEngine app for a year.
> > It was very fast (extremely fast), with latency > 1 sec.
> > When High Replication data-store was released I decided to give it
> > a try and switched to it. Unfortunately the latency got >1 Sec
> > sometimes > 2 Sec. The app worked a wile that way and because
> > still in beta I could experiment. So I decided to go to Billed option
> > to see if the reliability and more importantly the latency could improve.
> > Unfortunately this do not affected latency. Then I decided to go back to
> > Master/Slave - our customers mentioned immediately our app is 2 times
> > faster - again < 1 Sec latency. Then I needed to add https which is
> > very important for our app. This do not added significant latency so our
> > customers are very happy with this solution. Soon we will go public.
> > So the latency issue is a show stopper for high replication version
> > and we would want to stay with master slave.
> > Anybody with similar experience?
> > Thank you,
> >

> > --

Fred Sauer