This is a real bummer. I hear what you are saying and I see where Google is
trying to take this, but I wonder how much adoption is going to suffer now
that they have to compete with other similar service offerings at a similar
price point. Even with all the good that comes with appengine, will new
developers be willing to take on all of the GAE proprietary technologies and
idiosyncrasies. Does Google have enough penetration in the app hosting
market that they think this isn't an issue?

After reading all of these comments, it feels like Google lost a little bit
of cool today. It probably didn't help that developers were only given a
couple of weeks to fully understand the impact and to react. There's a lot
of panic on this forum.