I too have an app designed and being developed with the Channel API.
Seeing the new pricing plan, GAE is a no-go.  It will be redesigned to
run in AWS.

My plan is to use Node.js for push.  A single Node.js can support
~100K channels.  Run multiple Node.js processes for further scaling.
Run a Membase(or Memcached?) as a PubSub registry to map a channel id
to the Node.js server.  Publishing to a channel involves looking up
the Node server servicing the channel from Membase, and submit the
publishing data to it.  The Node server then turns around and push the
data to the browser.

Node.js is pretty lightweight.  I plan to try out with a micro EC2
instance ($12/mon for reserved), and see how far it can go.