Hi Jon,

thanks for your clarification! I like the "Phew" scenario a lot. :)
Could you please clarify the following points:

1) My scenario included the 4 instances to be fired up be the traffic
spike. As I understand
http://code.google.com/appengine/kb/postpreviewpricing.html#time_granularity_instance_pricing
there is a startup fee of 15 minutes for each instance.

- Is that startup fee covered by the instance idling for 15 minutes
before dying?
- If I understand your calculation correctly, by setting max-idle-
instances to 1 I can basically pay the startup fee for one instance
only, right?

2) For the time period [20, inf] you wrote that total instances is 0.
Is it guaranteed that instances die after being idle for 15 minutes?

If yes:
- Then the example of the FAQ would be misleading, because it mentions
an instance that "stops and then starts", and "serving traffic for 5
min, is then down for 4 minutes and then serving traffic for 3 more
minutes" – the instance would not stop or start or be down, but just
be idle.
- What's the sense of being able to set max-idle-instances then, if
they die anyway? Nothing would change by setting the value higher
(except for the hours billed).

If no:
- How can we prevent the scheduler from leaving an idle instance
around for the whole day? Because we can't set max-idle-instances to
0, we would have to pay for that.

Tammo