Hi Jon,

again, thanks for your answer, and sorry for bothering you with new
questions. This would be so much easier in face-to-face conversation
than with email. If you would like a Google hangout, just drop me an
email off-list.

On Sep 7, 4:49 pm, Jon McAlister <jon...@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Tammo Freese <i...@flockofbirds.net> wrote:
> > so total-instances is the maximum of active-instances over the last 15
> > minutes?
>
> Not really, no.

So what is total-instances then? I know, that sounds like a dumb
question. At first assumed that in second x, it would simply be the
number of instances (active+idle) in that second (total instances as I
understand it). But in one of your posts, you wrote "total-instances
refers to the blue line on the graph, and is computed according to the
+15-minutes-since-last-request formula".

> > Let's say I have 4 active instances for 5 minutes, then no traffic for
> > the rest of the day, max-idle-instances set to 1.
> > 1) 35 minutes will be billed regardless when the scheduler decides to
> > kill idle instances, right?
>
> Yes.
>
> > 2) But 1 instance would be idle for at least 15 minutes, right?
>
> Maybe.

[...]

> > Let's say I have 4 active instances for 5 minutes, then no traffic for
> > the rest of the day, max-idle-instances set to 4.
> > 1) 80 minutes will be billed regardless when the scheduler decides to
> > kill idle instances, right?
>
> Yes.
>
> > 2) But 4 instances would be idle for at least 15 minutes, right?
>
> Maybe.

So setting max-idle-instances to 4 leads to being reliably billed
more, but not having any reliable way of measuring the benefit?

Thanks,

Tammo