On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 9:47 AM, Wilson MacGyver <wmacgy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand people are upset about GAE pricing, but let's not pretend
> this is as easy as
> 1: sign up for amazon, 2: setup 3 instances in amazon east, 3: webscale :)

Part of the problem is that there is a distinct difference between GAE
frontends and GAE backends.  GAE frontends may or may not be
overpriced - certainly they provide compelling benefits WRT
scalability, fault tolerance, access to services, etc.

GAE backends, on the other hand, are clearly overpriced.  They provide
little benefit over a server instance in AWS or rackspacecloud or
linode, and they cost 5X as much.  The best argument you can make for
backends is that they have direct access to the GAE APIs, but you can
easily enough proxy those calls from outside.

Jeff