I wouldn't use the word "trivial". tell that to foursquare, quora, etc.

to setup something that's comparable to GAE, you'd have to setup
instances in both
amazon East and West, handle replication from both sides. have fail over.

and no, it's not just as easy as adding machines from both east and
west together as a cluster.
amazon charges you network fee for any traffic outside of a single
region. so ie, you pay for
any traffic between your instances in east and west. Plus you have to
deal with latency.

I understand people are upset about GAE pricing, but let's not pretend
this is as easy as
1: sign up for amazon, 2: setup 3 instances in amazon east, 3: webscale :)