On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Joshua Smith <joshuaesm...@charter.net> wrote:
> I take issue with this:
> On Sep 8, 2011, at 6:07 AM, Tim wrote:
>
>  - An instance starts when either
>     - it is needed to serve a request (there are no IDLE or FREE-IDLE
> instances available subject to max-pending-latency) - starts in ACTIVE state
>
> I have seen cases where an instance starts for no apparent reason.  In my
> case, I'm bumping along with just one instance most of the time.  Every now
> and then, the scheduler starts a second instance, even though the first one
> is still responding quickly and hasn't handled a request in a few seconds.
> My theories are:
> - There is a race condition, data sync, or timing issue, which causes the
> schedule to sometimes think an instance is busy when it isn't; or,
> - There are heuristics in the scheduler which predict an increase in load,
> and act proactively (such as a request coming in from a new IP address)
> My details are in the thread "Scheduler Bug or Inscrutable Scheduler
> "Feature"".  No response from our google overlords on that one.

I thought I did respond... In any event, for the reasons you listed
above and others, this is why max-idle-instances is important. It
ensures that you are not held accountable for scheduler behaviors such
as these listed. When you set it, the billable-instances-rate is
determined by max-idle-instances (a setting you directly control) and
active-instances-rate (again, hopefully something you control). The
nuances of how the scheduler spins up extra instances to minimize
latency and provide spare capacity are not part of the formula, other
than their effect on your serving latency and reliability.