On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Joshua Smith <joshuaesm...@charter.net> wrote:
> That all sounds right to me.  And note that I'm not really worried about this
> because:
>
> 1) I have to give you $9 anyway, and
> 2) When 2.7 comes out, assuming I survive the switch to HR, I should be able
> to handle everything with 1 instance no problem.
>
> It's just that there are some *unexplained* things going on in the scheduler,
> and that is driving a lot of this worry among developers.
>
> A full accounting of the kinds of glitches that can cause the scheduler to be
> heavy-handed with the instances is probably something you guys should give
> us, to help drive the point home that you are aware of these issues and are
> doing something about them.

That sounds like a reasonable request. However, I would not
characterize this example as heavy-handed. Your desire here is for one
instance always, never more and never less. And occasionally you are
getting one extra instance, which is soon killed off. In this
particular design space, that is literally the smallest possible error
that could be made by the instance scheduler :-P

I understand that the worry, and I agree we should do better. There
are indeed several things which can be happening here. The usual
suspects are request spike, app moved to another machine, or datastore
latency spike, but there are other things that can trigger this as
well. Basically, it's actually a complex distributed system under the
hood, but we're trying hard to make it appear to not be. But at places
like this, details are bleeding through the abstraction layer.

Thanks for hanging in with us. We mean well, we messed up, we're working on it.

Hope that helps,
Jon