Oh wow, you're absolutely right. Going back to the billing on the 4th
of September (after I changed Max Idle Instances and before I made any
code changes), I was already seeing the full price drop. So, I didn't
need to make the changes to spread out my tasks; that dropped the blue
line down, but I don't pay for the blue line.

So optimisation is even easier than I thought. Gerald, I'll quote you
in an update to my post, if you're ok with that.

On 11 September 2011 02:04, Gerald Tan <woefulwab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice blog Emlyn.
>
> The reason why your Frontend Instance hours are lower than you expected is
> because you assumed that you will be billed for the area under the BLUE line
> in the Instance graph. It's not. You are being billed for the area under the
> YELLOW line (Active Instance) PLUS your Max Idle Instance setting. So your
> Active Instances is hovering at around ~0.72, and I assume you have set your
> application's Max Idle Instance to 1. Therefore ~1.72 * 24 = ~41.28 Instance
> Hours

Emlyn

http://my.syyn.cc - Synchonise Google+, Facebook, WordPress and Google
Buzz posts,