Hello Karel,

I host 3 browser games on App Engine. Neptune's Pride, Blight of the
Immortals and my new one Jupiter's Folly.

My oldest and largest game Neptune's Pride has about 2000 Daily active
users, and about 7000 visits a day according to Google Analytics. My
games are flash, so they don't heaps of "page views", but the flash
makes 100-150k requests a day.

At times I have been much bigger and the data-store easily handles the
load. Even though there has been a lot of hoopla here about the price
increases, I would still recommend app engine to a small operation who
want to get on with the business of making games rather than managing
servers.

My bill is going from about 50c a day to about $3 a day.  About $1000
a year.

Before the price increase my hosting was easily covered by the little
bit of advertising I have on the game (which players don't see unless
they have been playing 7 days without becoming a paying player). After
the price increase my ads will probably only cover 2/3s of my hosting
costs.

My biggest expense is datastore writes. Because the games are
interactive, not simply passive pages to view, the players make a lot
of changes to their data which needs to be written to the datastore.
Those 2k players of Neptune's Pride generate about 2 Million writes
which is $2 of my $3 a day bill.

Feel free to shoot me any other questions you might have, just keep in
mind I'm no expert! ;)

Jay.