Hey Jay,

I actually registered yesterday on your game to get an idea of a game hosted
on GAE. I'm enjoying it!

But the new pricing greatly disturbs me. I'm not sure if running this game
on GAE is actually viable at all in terms of costs. I did some research on
the new pricing (for example
http://code.google.com/appengine/kb/postpreviewpricing.html#operations_charged_for)

and as far as I can see, datastore reads and writes both have a similar
cost. And they don't charge per query, but they charge per object (row)
fetched.

I did some calculations on my current database data, and CQ2 generates about
1M database writes for something like 650 daily users. That's about 3 times
as much as your game does, which would also triple the bill. That's a lot,
but something I can handle. Since most of the writes are one-record only,
the total cost would be $1,5 per day for 1000 users.

However, the datastore reads are the real issue here. I have about 4M SELECT
queries for 650 users. Considering that many of these return more than one
row, I can easily reach 10M datastore reads each day, for an additional cost
of $2,8 each day.

This results in a total of €159 per month, for 1000 users. My estimations
for the Amazon cloud were a cost of $65 per 1000 users each month (based on
our current system and their instances), which would make GAE 3 times more
expensive. That's quite worrysome, even though these statistics were
generated based on relational database writes as opposed to datastore
writes. It's hard to predict if I will need less or more datastore
operations to achieve the same result. I'm actually thinking less, because I
can cache a lot of static data into memory.