Let's say in one hour I have six different instances spin up and down, never
two running at the same time, and some occasional space in between.

Will that show on the graph as six or <1 instances? And is that what I will
be billed for?

Is the Active line computed different from Total, instead measuring the
average number of active instances at any moment during that hour, which in
my case might in fact be close to zero?