The mail api may not send the email immediately, I'd imagine it hits a
queue first.  So it can't throw an error on bad email addresses.  The
only solution is to return bounced emails via the return-path.  GAE
has never supported sending the user bounced emails.  If you need this
functionality you will need to use a 3rd party email service.