Hi Tapir,

There's no way for the mail API to determine if an email address is valid
synchronously (before the call returns). If the domain exists and has an MX
record, the only way to determine if the address is valid is to send the
message to it - and sending email is something that happens asynchronously,
and is subject to queueing and other delays standard for a mail system.

The only way to determine this at runtime would be to set a reply-to address
that your app controls, and look for bounce messages (which have a specified
format). This is a feature of email itself, not a limitation of the Mail
API.

-Nick Johnson

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Tapir <tapir....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried sending emails to some fake addresses, but there is no errors
> thrown and mails bounced.
> So I can't know if an email is sent successfully or not.
> If an email is not sent successfully, gae should tell developers what
> happened, right?
>
> On Sep 13, 1:05 am, nischalshetty <nischalshett...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I had once read in one of the threads here that email from gae gets
> marked
> > as spam on yahoo. Apart from that, it was also mentioned by one of the
> GAE
> > devs not to rely on this for mission critical emails. There are other
> > services that would suffice your need.
> >
> > Having said that, have you tried registering on your site and checking if
> > the email is being sent? How do you know that the reason for them not
> > confirming is because they did not receive the confirmation email?
> >
> >    - Users might be just lazy to confirm the subscription
> >    - Your email might have landed in their spam folder
> >    - They might have provided you with a fake email
> >    - They might have misspelled their email
> >    - They might think your email is a welcome email and hence just ignore
> it
> >     - see this<
> http://bvckup.tumblr.com/post/9101329123/please-confirm-your-email-ad...>
> >
> > Having said that, I'm not implying GAE is indeed sending all the email,
> just
> > giving you more options to explore :)

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine