Wow. I've found the GAE docs to be pretty nice.  What some pain?  Try
the docs for:

 * Amazon Elastic Beanstalk
 * Paypal
 * Google Checkout
 * Amazon Payments
 * require.js

...just to name a few that have given me grief lately.  Paypal gets
the poo-colored star here.  They are truly a testament to how hard it
is to unseat a market-leading incumbent, even when they suck.

Jeff