On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Mark Bucciarelli <mkb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's refreshing to read Tornado's code and docs after fighting
> app engine.  i guess those hackers helped (a lot?) with gmail
> and gmap?
> query times linear with sizeof(result_set) was really sexy,
> but 2 QPS per instance?  really?  and i hit soft limit w/
> python so often it's a joke---i can't do any serious processing
> without hearing the google cash register ring away.
> Simple python prevayler setup with tornado + nginx front end
> pumps 7k inserts/second (one big gzip'd post).  bonus: it's
> single-threaded (remember medusa?).  since it uses prevayler,
> it will be easy to replicate/coordinate tornado nodes (if i ever
> need to).
> disappointed too and rewriting as fast as i can,

While I'm a big fan of async systems like Node and Tornado, this is
really an apples/oranges comparison.  The programming models are quite
different and each strengths and weaknesses.  The domain of problems
appropriate to solve with Prevayler and the domain of problems
appropriate to solve with GAE's datastore have very little overlap.

If a Tornado/Prevaylor works for you, by all means use it.  But
recognize that it's a niche.

Jeff