From: google-appengine@googlegroups.com
[mailto:google-appengine@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Alex Epshteyn
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 10:59 AM
To: Google App Engine
Cc: appengine_updated_pric...@google.com
Subject: [google-appengine] Another perspective on the upcoming datastore
prices

Consider an average dynamic page in any web application.  It might do one
entity write and fetch a small result set.  Under the new GAE billing model,
this might cost 25 Write Ops, and 21 Read Ops (a pretty conservative
estimate).

Those amount to ~ $40 per million page views, which is more than the average
revenue from Google AdSense for the same million pageviews!

There's something really wrong with this picture.  The reason AdSense does
so well is that web hosting in this day and age costs a lot less than what
AdSense earns.  But now GAE hosting is about to cost much more than what
AdSense earns (and so far I only counted just the datastore ops, so the true
costs might be 2-3x higher than $40 per million pageviews).

The bottom line: developers will be losing money by hosting an ad- supported
application on GAE!

What's going on here? Google App Engine was supposed to be more cost-
effective than the alternatives, but these new prices seem to be totally out
of whack with the reality of current web economics.

To the management at Google who came up with these prices: please consider
consulting the AdSense team before these prices go into effect!