Hi Alex,

On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 3:58 AM, Alex Epshteyn <alexander.epsht...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Consider an average dynamic page in any web application.  It might do
> one entity write and fetch a small result set.  Under the new GAE
> billing model, this might cost 25 Write Ops, and 21 Read Ops (a pretty
> conservative estimate).

How did you compute these figures? You say they're 'conservative', but these
are really quite high. 25 write ops for one entity write implies quite a lot
of custom indexes, and 21 read ops implies you're fetching 20 datastore
entities - which isn't likely to be the case on anything other than a
listing type page. On top of that, a scalable app should be using memcache
and caching headers, meaning most requests don't encounter this cost at all.

-Nick Johnson

> Those amount to ~ $40 per million page views, which is more than the
> average revenue from Google AdSense for the same million pageviews!
>
> There's something really wrong with this picture.  The reason AdSense
> does so well is that web hosting in this day and age costs a lot less
> than what AdSense earns.  But now GAE hosting is about to cost much
> more than what AdSense earns (and so far I only counted just the
> datastore ops, so the true costs might be 2-3x higher than $40 per
> million pageviews).
>
> The bottom line: developers will be losing money by hosting an ad-
> supported application on GAE!
>
> What's going on here? Google App Engine was supposed to be more cost-
> effective than the alternatives, but these new prices seem to be
> totally out of whack with the reality of current web economics.
>
> To the management at Google who came up with these prices: please
> consider consulting the AdSense team before these prices go into
> effect!

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine