On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 8:58 AM, madmax <mahendra0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Jeff Schnitzer : My app provide programming tests to users. Users can
> code the solutions in c or c++. I am planning to provide a feature
> where the users can compile their code and test for correctness.
> Obviously they wont be running the code. Have tried many ways to
> implement this feature. The obvious solution would be to have a Linode
> or EC2 backend and let the compilation be done there. But it would be
> more efficient to have something supported on gae. Now i kno there is
> no way to do it than  source the code to EC2 or Linode.

If all you want is a compiler frontend (parser, typechecker), you
might be able to get away with porting it to something you can run in
a GAE app.  That this code is almost 100% algorithmic and you should
be able to compile it something else, either java (to run on GAE) or
javascript (to run in the browser itself).

I would seriously consider going the javascript route and doing it all
in the browser.  Compared to running DOOM in the browser (see
http://www.readwriteweb.com/hack/2011/05/doom-ported-to-javascript-and.php),
running a compiler frontend should be easy.  Looks like they used this
tool:

https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki

This actually looks easier (and more fun) than setting up a compile
farm somewhere, plus it would give you a slick user experience.  You
could even blog about it and probably get the story picked up by
hacker news.

Jeff