Hi Emlyn,

Thanks for sharing those articles, it is very nice that you were able
to backup the billing formula with hard facts.

As it was discussed in the groups during the pricing model change the
billing formula under the new model will be:
billable_instances_rate = min(active_instances_rate +
max_idle_instances, total_instances_rate)

where in the dashboard:
- active_instances_rates is the yellow line
- total_instances_rate is the blue line
- max_idle_instances is the upper bound of "Idle Instances" performance settings

If you set max_idle_instances to automatic, it's equivalent to setting
it to a very large number making the formula essentially become:
billable_instances_rate = total_instances_rate

See the following threads where Jon McAlister commented about the
billing formula:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-appengine/zuRXAphGnPk/UiTgTIIesL0J
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-appengine/W-17IhgwrLI/05Wti7I39EUJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-appengine/T-dJtXmOO8U/npM69XZAJFcJ

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Emlyn <emlynore...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been testing this hypothesis:
>
> Hypothesis: Ignoring the 15 minute cost for spinning up new instances,
> the price we pay is the moment by moment minimum of (total instances)
> and (active instances + Max Idle Instances). If Max Idle Instances is
> set to Automatic, then we pay for the moment by moment total
> instances.
>
> It holds. That is, if you leave the default Max Idle Instances setting
> (Automatic), you'll be billed for every bit of instance time the
> scheduler chooses to run. If you set it to a fixed number, you'll have
> a fixed cost cap based on the actual work you are doing (a lot more
> like cpu time), in most cases a lot lower.
>
> Here are a couple of posts in detail, with graphs, billing numbers, pictures!
>
> The Spiny Norman Test
> http://appenginedevelopment.blogspot.com/2011/10/spiny-norman-test.html
>
> Go Spiny Norman, Go
> http://appenginedevelopment.blogspot.com/2011/10/go-spiny-norman-go.html