On 13 October 2011 21:42, Jeff Schnitzer <j...@infohazard.org> wrote:
> Let me summarize:
>
> You ran an experiment and discovered that GAE left idle instances
> running, above and beyond your max-idle-instances setting, for your
> application at the time that you ran the test.  Ok.

Well, that test was in fact designed to force the scheduler's hand. I
made the burstiest load that I could (I guess I could have changed the
default queue settings to make it even worse). I was testing a
conjecture about how the billing works, not the normal performance,
and it's wouldn't be right to draw conclusions about normal scheduler
behaviour based on that.

> Unfortunately there's little reason to believe that this behavior
> (lots of free instances) will continue for other applications at other
> times; it may just be that you ran at an off-peak period.  There's
> little reason to believe this behavior will continue as Google
> optimizes the scheduler, and a lot of reason to believe that it won't
> (free instances are bad for the suddenly-relevant bottom line).

(Well, I ran the tests for 20 hours at a time, so not offpeak I think.)

In my main real app, changing the scheduler down to min idle instances
= 1 more or less halves the idle instances (they're still up at 6 or 7
or so while the active count is below 1).

But I don't care too much about that, because it's mostly background
processing. A little latency here and there means nothing in that
context.

> Should you set the max-idle-instances to a fixed number instead of
> "auto"?  Depends on your app.  If you know how to balance your
> traffic, startup latency, and avg request lantecy, then sure.  If you
> you're more concerned about your bill than your user experience, then
> sure.
>
> Does this mean you don't need to move to a multi-threaded system?  No,
> because whatever number of idle instances you think you need, you can
> divide that by N if you go multithreaded.  N is a hard number to
> predict because it depends on how much of your app is i/o bound.
> "Normal" Java appservers serving typical webapps achieve concurrency
> in the hundreds with ease.  Ikai once mentioned that the initial
> concurrency of Java was hardcoded at 10, but that has probably changed
> by now.  I don't know what it will be like with Python.... but really,
> it's hard to imagine anything else you can possibly do that will have
> an order of magnitude effect on your bill.

It can't have an order of magnitude effect on your bill unless you are
running with Max Idle Instances on Auto or have set it far too high.

> Jeff

Changing Max Idle Instances to 1 for http://my.syyn.cc dropped my
projected new billing charges by a factor of 6, with no perceivable
performance change (see
http://point7.wordpress.com/2011/09/03/the-amazing-story-of-appengine-and-the-two-orders-of-magnitude/
and
http://point7.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/appengine-tuning-an-instance-of-success/

For me, to get another order of magnitude would be nice, but is no
longer an emergency.

And that's something important, because a lot of people rage-quit
AppEngine when the new billing appeared, in the usually false belief
that they were hosed under the new system. In fact, while I was in the
process of introducing AppEngine in my commercial work for our new
development, I got some push back specifically around this issue,
because people had read that you must have multi-threaded code or else
the billing would be sky high (probably reading your article in fact).
And the perception was that this would make the whole thing too hard,
and why don't we look at some other platform?

So I'm *not* saying there's no point to a multi-threaded code base.
I'm saying that it is not the only way to fix instance pricing woes,
or even the best way (especially from a developer effort POV). And the
idea that multi-threading is the best and only way is turning small
time developers off the platform.

But I'll tell you what; the effect of multi-threading on appengine
python app instance pricing warrants a good hard look, with numbers
and tables and graphs and whatnot. Reading your stuff in detail has
convinced me to put it on my shortlist, particularly with an eye to
developing some simple techniques for web apps, for people who would
otherwise be intimidated by heavy concurrency work. So I apologise for
raising your hackles, and thank you for the interaction, and the
motivation to take a look at multi-threaded Python.