Checkin for an entire day the "Datastore reads" quota value and the log
requests, I have finally found the causes of the high number of Datastore
reads.
1.Query with offset on pagination: I use cursors of course but I gave the
option to fallback to query with offset in case of cache-miss or direct
access to a given page.
2.Filters that emulates the startwith function using the + u'\ufffd'trick: it
probably has to scan and fetch all the entities to compare the strings,
resulting in a high count of Datastore reads.
3.Query that fetches large dataset: where applicable, I'm planning to
aggregate and store data in blob in order to spend just one Datastore read
to get thousands of entries.

My application lightly uses the count() function so the number of small
Database reads seems to stay in a decent range.

Michele