> > 1. build an app with the most rapid way (forget about best coding
> > practices etc)
> > 4. pay someone smarter to refine the code and make it scale
>
> Good luck with that.  If you cannot do #4 on your own then I don't
> believe you will be able to hire someone else who can.  Especially not
> in this market.

Hi Jeff, I agree with you completely. But let's see a hypothetical
scenario:

You and Mr. Joe just happen to work on the same idea, at roughly the
same time.
For simplicity sake, both of you are competent Java programmers with
same skills.
He decides to use AWS and you go with GAE.

Since AWS uses good old technologies, he's faster to deliver. Of
course, yours is
more scalable, but probably you won't get to the point where it is
required,
because Mr. Joe already grab the market.

Being scalable is a requirement.. at later stage. But before everyone
sees anything,
being *first* is more important.

Even if you are able to deliver at the same time, as Adrian pointed
out, his unoptimized
version would probably has better performance than yours (and no
deadline exception).

> There is an acclimatization period to working with GAE.  It's much
> shorter than the acclimatization period required to work with
> Spring/Hibernate/SQL, except that perhaps you've already gone through
> the later.  After you work with GAE for long enough, most
> architectural issues become pretty obvious.  I find that I am now
> *much* faster developing GAE apps than J2EE apps, and I never find
> myself scratching my head wondering why some query isn't performing
> the way I expect.

I think many GAE developers are corporate programmers who use GAE on
the
side (it's rare to find someone who quit his job to focus on a
platform
that's still on preview). As such, their acclimatization to GAE is
slow(er than their existing experience). But I agree with you.

Until that happen, I'll still scratch my head when some framework
doesn't work :)