If Google announced to drop further support for the mail API, that
would be fine, because developers can make an informed decision then.

I'm mostly interested in DKIM, which has the potential to really
improve reliability and seems (from my basic understanding) almost
trivial to implement. Why? It's already set up when you register a
domain through Google Apps. Google adds DKIM headers automatically to
all emails send from the Google Mail interface. So all that's missing
is an additional dkim parameter which automatically adds those headers
when sending through App Engine.

It might even be possible for developers to calculate and add those
headers themselves, if Google adds DKIM-Signature to allowed headers.