Hi Brian,

> > So on December 1st, the 50% discount for front-instances is gone. The
> > idea is to compensate by switching to Python 2.7 with multithreading,
> > but it looks like at this point it's a lose-lose situation: it runs
> > more requests at the same time, but they take longer. We're mid-
> > November already, do you guys think you'll have all of this working
> > perfectly within 2 weeks?
>
> No, the issues with concurrent requests won't be fixed by the end of November.
>
> But note that concurrent requests will *not* improve the utilization
> of CPU-bound requests. Running multiple threads on the same CPU just
> proportionally slows each thread down.

That doesn't make sense: apps do a mix of CPU stuff and RPC stuff (and
possibly URL requests). What's the points of concurrent requests if it
slows down the CPU stuff while allowing to parallelize your RPC calls?
The end result will be the same number of instance as requests end up
taking longer. Isn't the scheduler supposed to watch all this and
ensure the CPU on each physical machine is not saturated?

Only apps that do long poll URL requests and barely use the CPU would
benefit of concurrent requests then.

We were told: don't worry so much about hours-based pricing, just wait
for 2.7 runtime, it'll have concurrent requests, it'll compensate
things. Clearly that doesn't work as promised if just turning
threadsafe ON makes a 2 seconds requests turn into a 30-60 seconds
one: the scheduler is not doing the right thing.

It seems what you need is a per WSGIApplication instance control of
the concurrent setting instead of global one, so you can turn it on
only where it makes sense.

Finally, no matter what, concurrent or not, there's still a problem as
2.7 runtime appears slower than 2.5 in this simple empirical test. I'm
starting to suspect you are using the 2.7 transition as a opportunity
to run more virtual instances per physical machine.

- Pierre