On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 13:43, Brandon Wirtz <drak...@digerat.com> wrote:

> GIT solves problems that shouldn’t be part of the deployment process. And GAE
> shouldn’t
> be part of the Dev Process

Really?  If your production app is on GAE, you're telling me that you
should have a staging or test area on GAE?

And if "GIT solves problems that shouldn't be part of the deployment
process" is correct, git is still solving a problem--even if you don't
think it's the correct way.  Make a better deployment process for the
people who have solved their deployment process using GIT and get 'em
to switch.

I personally use a combination of fabric and whatever VCS my project
is in to deploy applications to staging and production.  But you
appear to be telling me that if I tag a release in git, then use
fabric to update the git repos on my servers to that tagged
version--that my deployment process is wrong because a VCS named 'git'
is involved?

Would you tell me the same thing if my VCS was subversion or cvs
or...etc?  How do you get your code out of a VCS into production?

-A