>How do you get your code out of a VCS into production?

Actually, The Release manager pushes to our Staging App.
Testing is done with the staging data.
Appcfg sucks the code down from Staging. A script renames the App in the
APP.Yaml
AppCFG pushes the Code to a non-default version on the live APP. More
testing is done
Version is made live.  More Testing is done.

In so doing no code is ever pushed to the "Live" app that hasn't been tested
first.

In our case we actually have 2 live apps, one supports a smaller volume of
traffic that is not from our clients.  It runs "latest"
And the primary app runs "release".  This allows us to load test before the
final deployment.

So it is actually Staging -> Test Pass -> Live non-default -> Test Pass ->
Live Default -> real word testing -> Primary Live non-default -> Test Pass
-> Primary Default